BC Wildfires

Last Updated: September 23, 2022
  • BC Wildfire Service

    The BC Wildfire Service App (for Android and Apple (iOS) devices) is free to download and provides real-time wildfire information and an interactive map. It also shows fire danger ratings, active fires, evacuation orders and alerts, and has a fire reporting tool, etc. It can be downloaded from Google Play or the App Store

    Current Wildfire Situation webpage has information on specific wildfires, fire response efforts, and Fire Danger Ratings. Details on each fire include location, map, size, evacuation order status, and more. This website will have the most current information, as the fire situation changes over time. It also has a map of all active wildfires.


  • Emergency Info BC provides information for residents and evacuees affected by wildfires, including updates about evacuation alerts and orders, and official response and recovery resources. Provides links to details as specified by the Emergency Operations Centre of the relevant Regional District or First Nations government. Check www.twitter.com/EmergencyInfoBC for updates.

    When required, an Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) will be activated by the Regional District or First Nations band to support the emergency or disaster. An EOC is responsible for various duties such as declaring states of local emergency (SOLEs) as well as issuing evacuation orders and alerts.

    See EmergencyMapBC for current Evacuation Orders and Alerts, and Regional District websites for further information.

    Regional Districts and First Nations bands, and communities have up-to-date information about evacuation alerts, orders, and rescinds. They also provide information about Emergency Social Services (ESS) and other emergency information,  and may assist with transportation, livestock relocation, or pet evacuation.


  • The Province provides support to evacuees through Emergency Support Services (ESS); services include food, lodging, clothing, emotional support, information updates, and more. Evacuees can register for ESS online through the Evacuation and Registration Assistance (ERA) online tool (ess.gov.bc.ca), or in person at an ESS reception centre. Evacuees should check their evacuation order to see which reception centre to attend or for instructions on accessing Emergency Social Services. Evacuees can also register by phone at 1-800-585-9559.
    People are also encouraged to pre-register for ESS through the ERA online tool. Interac e-Transfer may be available for people receiving ESS payments after being evacuated and registering with the online ERA tool. 

    First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) Health Benefits: Supports clients to access health services, medications, supplies, and equipment if they are evacuated or separated from their usual providers. In addition to regular weekday service (1-855-550-5454), clients evacuated due to wildfire can call the FNHA Benefits support line at 1-888-305-1505.


  • Each fire centre continually assesses whether there’s a need to restrict open burning to help reduce wildfire risk and protect public safety. This is based on local fire hazards, weather conditions, and fire activity. To view current fire prohibitions and restrictions within each of the province’s six regional fire centres, see fire bans and restrictions. Check with local government authorities for any other restrictions before lighting any fire. Category 3 fire lighting must obtain a burn registration number first: call 1-888-797-1717.


  • BC Wildfire Service is monitoring regions impacted by wildfire smoke. The significant influx of wildfire smoke creates poor visibility and may impact aviation resources’ ability to safely support active fires. Poor air quality can also endanger human health and the environment. Interactive map of current smoke forecast: firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current

    BC Air Quality information including advisories: www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/air-land-water/air/air-quality

    For Environment Canada Weather Alerts, please visit: weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html


  • Road closures and conditions

     BC Park closures: www.bcparks.ca / Recreation site and trail closures: www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca

    Canada Post mail delivery interruptions: Delivery service alerts



  • PreparedBC has tips on preparing for disaster and offers a Wildfire Preparedness Guide. Information is also available via  www.twitter.com/PreparedBC.

    FireSmart BC offers resources on how to minimize risk from wildfire.

    Government of BC has prevention resources such as FireSmart resources; open fire, prohibitions and restrictions; fire prevention for industry and operators; information on vegetation and fuels management; funding for wildfire prevention; and wildfire legislation.  

    Agriservice BC provides information and resources for emergency management for agriculture, including resources for wildfire preparedness and mitigation planning for agricultural producers.

    PremisesID program helps livestock owners track their animals and keep them safe.


  • PreparedBC has recovery information and resources, also accessible via www.twitter.com/PreparedBC

    Guide to Wildfire Recovery from Canadian Red Cross.


  • 310Mental Health Support provides a province-wide mental health helpline for those in need of emotional support. Available 24/7. Call 310-6789 (no area code required).

    Canadian Mental Health Association (BC Division) offers tips on coping with natural disaster stress, and helpful links and resources.

    KUU-US Crisis Line Society provides a province-wide crisis line for Indigenous people. Available 24/7. Phone: 1-800-588-8717.

    BC Bereavement Helpline provides support to anyone coping with grief or loss. Staffed by trained volunteers. Hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday. Phone: 1-877-779-2223

    Wellness Together Canada offers various levels of free mental health support, including crisis support and counselling. Staffed by mental health professionals. Available 24/7. Phone 1-866-585-0445 (adults) or 1-888-668-6810 (youth) for counselling.


  • Employment and Social Development Canada provides Employment Insurance (EI) to individuals who are unable to work due to wildfires. Students who are affected by a natural disaster and need help making loan payments can also fast track their application for the Repayment Assistance Plan. Individuals who are receiving Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security Payments whose delivery of physical pension cheques is impacted by wildfires are encouraged to sign up for direct deposit.

    Canada Revenue Agency may be able to provide taxpayer relief for individuals involved in disasters such as fire.

    BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) provides information on wildfire smoke and how to prevent/minimize health risks. Wildfire smoke can irritate the respiratory system, cause inflammation, and alter immune function, making it more difficult to fight respiratory infections. Also provides information on maintaining clean air in your home during wildfire season.

    First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) also provides information on wildfires and health including information on air quality, air purifiers, and clean air shelters. FNHA has a limited number of air purifiers available for communities to provide to individuals who are most vulnerable to wildfire smoke. Individuals should contact their community health centre to request support.

    FireSmoke Canada provides information and resources about smoke from wildfires, including hourly, daily average, and daily maximum forecasts of ground-level concentrations of smoke particles.

    BC Agri-Business Planning Program offers support for producers and processors in disaster recovery planning. Provides up to $5,000 in business planning services and coaching for individuals from a qualified business consultant.

    BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre provides health information and tips for pregnant women during wildfires, including information on wildfire pollutants and stress.

    First Nations Emergency Services Society (FNESS) works with First Nations communities, provincial and federal governments, agencies, and various stakeholders to assist with wildfire prevention and emergency management for First Nations communities.

    HealthLinkBC provides non-emergency health information and advice at 8-1-1 by phone, website, or mobile app.

    Health Canada provides information on combined wildfire smoke and heat, and how to protect your health.

    College of Pharmacists of British Columbia provides information on accessing medications during a state of emergency. During a state of emergency, pharmacists can provide a drug without a prescription.

    BC Hydro provides power outage updates and information on emergency preparation. When returning home after evacuation, call 1-888-POWERON (1-888-769-3766) if you experience problems with your power.

    FortisBC provides information about dealing with electricity and natural gas during wildfires and evacuations.

    Insurance Bureau of Canada provides information on insurance coverage for people affected by BC wildfires. If individuals can’t find the information they’re looking for on the website, they can call the Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ASK-IBC (1-844-227-5422) or email AskIBCWest@ibc.ca.

    ICBC issues replacement licenses and BC Services cards for those who have lost their identification. Visit a driver licensing office in person or call 1-800-950-1498. A fire-related claim or emergency roadside expenses can be reported online or by phone to 1-800-910-4222.

    WorkSafeBC offers a publication on Wildfire Smoke: Frequently Asked Questions for employers.

    Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team (CDART), Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team (ALERT) and BCSPCA provide disaster response services for domesticated animals, by providing sheltering, fostering, rescue of animals, and other services. In the event of an emergency, evacuees with pets or those requiring emergency services can call the BC SPCA Call Centre at 1-855-622-7722 or visit an ESS Reception Centre. 

    BC Parks includes information on responsible recreation, camping, campfire bans, pets, vehicles and roadways, canoeing and kayaking, and more.

    BC & Alberta Emergency Livestock/Animal/Horse Evacuation Support Group Facebook page was created for evacuees who need help and for those who are able to offer help (informal).

    BC Wildfire and Flood Support Group Facebook page compiles information and offers of help (informal).

    Cariboo Wildfires Information and Safety Facebook page compiles information (informal).